Great Lakes Avengers ASSEMBLE!
Here's a team many of you never heard of. The GLA, introduced in West Coast Avengers #46 back in '88, were a joke team of sorts. Headed by Mr. Immortal, they were fighting supervillains in Michigan with unauthorized use of the Avengers name. (They used the Great Lakes in their name becuase there is no North Coast.) Hawkeye and Mockingbird (not pictured) went to check it out. Having just left the WCA, Hawkeye becamse their leader for awhile. Last year or so, there was a four-part mini-series called GLA: Misassembled (and a Christmas special!). I recommend it even if you're not a big comic book fan. I'm not a BIG one by any means, and I loved it. It's just very well-written. They don't just play the characters as jokes. The characters all KNOW they're jokes, which makes you feel kind of sorry for them. There's even some decent back story.
Well, enough about that. Back to talking about my drawing. From left to right:
- He can jump very high with his grasshopper armor.
- See him? He's one of Squirrel Girl's squirrels. They defeated Doctor Doom together once. That's why he gets to be on the GLA roster.
- She has squirrel-like agility and can talk to squirrels. This is my costume design because her official one is boring.
- He can't die. Oh, he can be shot, crushed, what have you, but he'll come back in a minute or so. That's why he kinda needs a team.
- Like Mr. Fantastic, only... you know, flat.
- Has the power to turn fat (and strong, she's not useless). When she's not fat, she's supermodel Ashley Crawford, whose career bankrolls the GLA.
- Member of some kinda dinosaur race. Only Mr. Immortal understands her. She communicates with the rest of the team through whistles.
- A class 10 teleporter, he can teleport you into the next room, as long as you prop him against the wall and walk through him.
Okay, now that you've gotten a rundown of the characters, would you like to see them in color? Of course you would! Click on the [link]